In the case of a serious injury or illness, it's important to look out for signs of shock.
Shock is a life-threatening condition that occurs when the circulatory system fails to provide enough oxygenated blood to the body and, as a result, deprives the vital organs of oxygen.
This is usually the result of severe blood loss, but it can also occur after severe burns, severe vomiting, a heart attack, a bacterial infection, or a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis).
The type of shock described here isn't the same as the emotional response of feeling shocked, which can also occur after an accident.
Signs of shock include:
Pale, cold, clammy skin
Rapid, shallow breathing
Weakness and dizziness
Feeling sick and possibly vomiting
Seek medical help immediately if you notice that someone has any of these signs of shock.
Call 112 / 911 / 999 (or another number for a country you're in) and ask for ambulance
Treat any obvious injuries
Lie the person down if their injuries allow you to and, if possible, raise and support their legs
Use a coat or blanket to keep them warm
Do not give them anything to eat or drink
Give them lots of comfort and reassurance
Monitor the person – if they stop breathing, start CPR and call 112 / 911 / 999 to update them
How to treat a baby who is in Shock:
How to treat a grownup who is in Shock: